Re: [BRHSlist] FW: Genesis CB&Q 2-8-2

To: <BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: Re: [BRHSlist] FW: Genesis CB&Q 2-8-2
From: Jim's Junction/ John & Debbie Olson <trains28@a...>
Date: Thu, 20 Dec 2001 20:34:52 -0700
In defense of Athearn- my comment about them using White lettering on
their Geneses CB&Q 2-8-2 was not meant to bash Athearn as a company. I
remember seeing company builders photos of new CB&Q steam locomotives with
White lettering and a White Herald on the tender (similar to the white
caboose and box car Heralds) that were probably photographed in the 10's and
20's, but I think this was an exception and not the norm. When it came to
painting and lettering during the 40's and 50's- all the photos I have seen
taken during the latter days of 'Q' steam showed Deluxe Gold or Bronze
lettering with that beautiful Herald on the tenders. I guess this was what I
was expecting to see on the Genesis 2-8-2. I realize there is a prototype
for everything- if you look long and hard enough!

My guess is that every HO modeler since the 50's has been touched by
Athearn in some way or another and when I started in HO in the late 50's-
Athearn was the standard that everything else was judged by. Their product
line has continually been updated, and is today, a good solid product for
the money. The situation is this: A lot of model manufacturers have raised
the level of the bar by putting out their own lines of 'high end' products
such as Proto 2000, Spectrum, Red Caboose, InterMountain Rwy, Kadee, Atlas
and Stewart. Comments heard in the store, when looking at steam locomotives
made by Spectrum, Proto 2000 'Heritage Steam Collection' and now Rivarossi
(2-6-6-6 Allegheny), are basically this- "Why buy brass?". One look at the
new Atlas Dash 8-40BW tells you where the level of the bar has been raised
to. When Athearn decided to jump into the 'high end' market with their
Genesis line I thought they were 'there' when the SD70/75 came out. The
Highliner/Genesis 'F' units are absolutely beautiful and between Genesis and
InterMountain we have the finest 'F' units the industry has ever seen. The
Genesis 2-8-2 is another matter. What an 'odd duck' they seem to be when
compared to the other Genesis locomotives. Brass quality Drivers, Side Rods
and Mechanisms that are silky smooth- coupled to a basically one piece
boiler with molded on details! When you have one of these placed next to a
Spectrum 2-8-0 or a Spectrum 4-8-2 Mountain in the showcase, the differences
really jump out at you and make you wonder why Athearn didn't take their
locomotive to the next level by using add-on details? Athearn is really
trying and I think they will get there with their steam locomotives- given a
little time. They are priced right but they should have charged a few
dollars more and raised the detail level to be on par with the standards
that have now been established by the other manufacturers. I think Rivarossi
will be the next company to watch closely as there may be several make-overs
of existing steam locomotives in the works that will put them at the level
of the Allegheny.

John Olson-owner
Jim's Junction
Billings, Mt.
406-259-5354 Store, Answering machine & Fax machine
<trains28@a...>
<http://www.jimsjunction.com>
Selling quality HO/N Scale items for 15 years- Worldwide shipping available.
Member- NRHSA (National Retail Hobby Stores Association)
Sustaining Member- BRHS (Burlington Route Historical Association)