Re: [BRHSlist] FW: Genesis CB&Q 2-8-2

To: BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [BRHSlist] FW: Genesis CB&Q 2-8-2
From: Ralph Brown <cbq682@g...>
Date: Thu, 20 Dec 2001 08:18:13 -0600
The messages about the above topic have been very interesting to read. I feel
if you're paying $150.00 for a locomotive, you should get a $150.00 locomotive,
not a $50.00 locomotive. I have never seen the new Genesis 2-8-2, but can
believe the bad things reported here, just knowing it came from Athearn. I am
one person who would categorize 75% of Athearn's line as "toy train sh**". I
do see the need for cheaper models out there to make it affordable for someone
to begin the hobby. Again, if a lower grade model is what you want, then you
shouldn't have to pay a high grade price to get it.

As for the idea of companies moving away from a cheap line of products, I do
not see this happening. I know my local hobby shop stocks up on cheap
Life-Like and Bachman train sets for the Christmas season because they will
definitely sell them. So there is still a demand for the lower grade models.

I am by far a "rivet counter", but it is simple to look at the products out
there compare detail with prices. This part of being a consumer. We try to
spend our hard earned dollar wisely. The people in the model railroad business
will gear their business to sell a well liked product, if not, they won't make
the money they want too. If the people don't like the Athearn 2-8-2, they
won't buy it. After hearing the reviews here, I know I won't buy one.
Especially at about $150.00. Why?

Ralph W. Brown, Jr.
Galesburg, IL