Re: [BRHSlist] Re: Basic reading

To: <BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: Re: [BRHSlist] Re: Basic reading
From: "VLBG" <VLBG@s...>
Date: Sun, 23 Dec 2001 16:51:03 -0600
Florian,

In the 40's there would have been a lot of Telegraphy. Most
of the branch lines would not have switched to a voice phone
line.

IIRC in the mid sixties there was still one telegraph station
Dispatched from the Cicero office, Clinton IA. Evidently
the DRI&NW did not have the greatest pole line so that
was all that was available. Since all Dispatchers did not
know the Telegraph there would have been some use of the
public phone system but this was not encouraged.

The CB&Q was a very frugal Railroad and did not like
long distance charges. Even put locks on dial phones in
offices to discourage the casual user.

Quite a contrast from today's Railroad where you could
gossip with someone on the moon and no one would even
notice.

Russ