Re: [BRHSlist] Re: FW: Genesis CB&Q 2-8-2

To: <BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: Re: [BRHSlist] Re: FW: Genesis CB&Q 2-8-2
From: "Tom Barrett" <barrett@g...>
Date: Wed, 19 Dec 2001 11:52:24 -0600
Go for it Ed, I agree with you there is nothing wrong with the
Athearn engines, I turned away from the Genesis Mike because wan't satisfied
with the looks of it and being patient one will probably come along someday
that I will like. Athearn has been around for years and has served the hobby
well and the average modeler, modeling is having fun, thats what it is all
about, I am an engineer for the BNSF and believe me I get enough pressure
with the real thing, it don't get any more protytypical than that, when I
decend into my basement I look for enjoyment and relaxation not worry, I
also do WW2 airplane modeling but my planes don't look exactly like the real
ones but its the enjoyment and sense of accomplishment that endures me to
the hobby, and I can put them on the shelf and look at them and be proud of
them.

I own 2 Spectrum kits, one is the Consolidation, I am doing the CB&Q
around 1958 and 59, I know that the Q if not mistaken did not have any of
these left but I like the engine so well that I am going to try to work it
in somehow whether a Q or some freelanced road, whichever I will make it
fit. It also seems to me that it wasn't to many years ago most modelers
swore by Athearn, did we forget where we came from, do we really want
competition so fierce for HIGH TECH equipment that everything on the market
is to high priced for the average individual and averaged priced equipment
is left behind, this is a hobby for enjoyment and only an art form for as
much as we want to make it, I fear that all this high tech stuff is going to
leave the average modeler with the average budget behind, I like the looks
of the more prototypical equipment to but I don't have an endless income to
support them, I have heard several people say they would like to get into
model railroading but it is to expensive, it is true straight out of the
box they look nice but with a little work so does the Athearns, they also
run smooth but I have some regeared Athearns that I swear by, they give me
all I want, and we must think of the youth, we must keep the standard
design engines around for the budgets of parents who are starting there kids
out in the hobby, as far as not liking the looks of the engine or whether it
is protitypical enough one has the chance to see it and find out more about
it before they buy it, one has to weigh out the possibilities it can present
to the operating scheme or its ability to bring enjoyment to the individual,
can he do some work on it to make it more up to his expectations, this is
what the hobby is all about, this is why I don't buy modeling publications
anymore they are making it to much of a science more than an enjoyment, 1%
are professionals the other 99% are average Joe's, I fear the Joe's are
being left behind, no my vote is buy what you can afford, or your happy with
and enjoy it and if you get burnt which we all have so be it, there is
usualy some way to work around it, for if we lose sight of what the hobby is
all about then we will eventually lose the hobby, I strongly agree there is
nothing wrong with Athearn, just enjoy the hobby for what it is a hobby.
Keep it simple