Re: [CBQ] Any Burlington Route signal experts out there?

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [CBQ] Any Burlington Route signal experts out there?
From: Jan Kohl <kohlj@bellsouth.net>
Date: Tue, 02 May 2006 01:18:14 -0400
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Rob, the best thing to clean negatives with, believe it or not, is
water.  However, it should only be attempted as a last ditch effort (in
other words, if the negative is so bad that you can't do much more with it).

Lay out a small, flat dish, put some clean, warm water in it. Take an
old, soft, cotton tshirt and cut it up into small rags. Wet a few of the
rags in clean, warm water. Dip the negative in it for a few seconds, and
on a corner, use the cotton rag to gently try to release the grime.
Repeat process if grime is not coming off, leaving it in the water a bit
longer if it appears that it won't remove all the dirt.

Patience may win out, but not all negatives are salvageable.  Keep
working on the corners until you get the knack, then you can try for the
main negative surface if it appears it's going to work.

Cheers!

Jan