Re: [CBQ] Any Burlington Route signal experts out there?

To: <CBQ@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: Re: [CBQ] Any Burlington Route signal experts out there?
From: "GLEN HAUG" <glenehaug@msn.com>
Date: Mon, 1 May 2006 18:59:58 -0700
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
It was suggested that this signal may have been located south of LaCrosse.
While that is possible (actually a few miles north of Prairie du Chien), I
believe a more likely location for this signal is at MP 245.1 between Edison
and Arapahoe, Nebraska.

This particular track section sustained severe damage in 1935 from Republican
River floods, and several sections of track between Oxford and McCook were
actually relocated as a result.  There is obvious flood damage in the
photograph, and the background view just appears more like the Republican River
valley than the upper Mississippi valley, which would probably include bluffs
in the background.  The N designates the westbound signal on the North side of
the track.  The westbound signal would virtually always end in an odd number,
hence N245.1, and the number (a signal number and not an exact MP number) was
usually within a 10th of a mile of its exact location.

Glen Haug