Re: [CBQ] Re: A Plethora of Pullmans

To: <CBQ@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: Re: [CBQ] Re: A Plethora of Pullmans
From: "Charlie Vlk" <cvlk@comcast.net>
Date: Thu, 19 Feb 2004 21:56:03 -0600
Perhaps Hol Wagner could shed some light on this subject....
It is interesting that the first individual Budd coaches went to the C&S and
FW&D rather than the parent CB&Q... and that the Texas Zephyr got Budd built
cars at all when no other non-articulated trains were built prewar other
than the General Pershing/Silver Streak Zephyrs....
The pending lawsuit with Pullman over the DZ sleepers no doubt influenced
the decision to remodel the heavyweights to blend with the Budd cars....the
same thing happened with the CB&Q's Zephyr Tower and the RI's Rocket Tower
for the Zephyr Rocket.  The first CB&Q Budd Pullmans were the California
Zephyr cars, so there might be more to the issue than the Pullman
lawsuit....in fact, when you think of it, Budd Pullmans on the Q were
limited to the original CZ, the 1952 cars for the CZ, ARZ, and KCZ, and the
1956 Denver Zephyr.... not many trains required Pullmans on the Q!!!
Charlie Vlk