[CBQ] Re: A Plethora of Pullmans

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [CBQ] Re: A Plethora of Pullmans
From: "Stephen J. Levine" <sjl@prodigy.net>
Date: Thu, 19 Feb 2004 18:49:33 -0000
Bill

I would urge you to research and address the reasons behind the use
of heavyweight Pullmans on the original Texas Zephyr.

I have always been puzzled about this as the trains, being Zephyrs,
should have had streamlined Budd Sleepers like the 1936 DZ.

What I suspect the reason for the sleepers being heavyweight was that
the Pullman company basically nixed the use of non-pullman
equipment.  There is beautiful treatment of this issue in Geoffrey
Doughty's excellent book on the early Zephyrs where the topic merits
a whole chapter.  Basically, after the Denver Zephyr and first Super
Chief went with Budd sleepers, all lettered Pullman, the Pullman
company started to threaten railroads that were contemplating using
non-Pullman-manufactured sleepers with renegotiation of contracts
because of issues pertaining to the "safety" of these cars, and
perhaps even withdrawal of Pullman service altogether from railroads
using non-pullman-manufactured sleeping cars.

I am curious as to whether the C&S and FW&D considered getting
streamlined, stainless steel sleepers from Pullman.  I am also
curious as to whether, if this consideration had been made, Pullman
outright denied these cars to the two railroads, or, more likely,
made their lease/purchase prohibitively expensive, perhaps in
retaliation for the Q going Budd on the DZ sleeping cars.

sjl

--- In CBQ@yahoogroups.com, "wrjensen" <wrjensen@e...> wrote:
> The FW&D and C&S Pullman are something that interests me.  There is
> not a lot of information out there about them  Which I have found
so
> far.  Hoping some day to do an article on them.
>
> But here are a few Photos to look at  In Hol Wagner "Colorado Road"
> on page 337 there are a photos the Spanish Crest (12-1) and the
> Lariat Crest.(10-1-1).   The Spanish Crest  his "Burlington" Label
on
> it and the Lariat Crest has the "Pullman" Label both are in the
> Lettering to match the Budd cars. (Zephyr Font)  I am looking for
> photos for all the cars the figure out how each were lettered.
>     Also in Steve Goen's "Fort Worth and Denver Color Pictorial"
on
> page 20 there is a photo of the end of the Texas Zephyr with 3 of
the
> Pullman cars on it.  I not sure which cars the are but by the
windows
> it looks to be a 12-1, 8-5, and maybe a 10-1-1.  The last Car is a
10-
> 1-1 says Pullman, and I can not read the other 2.
> Most of the FW&D and C&S Pullman cars were "modernized and
repainted
> to silver"  but what I have found the Lariat Range, Spanish Range,
> Castle Crest, Lariat Range, Spanish Crest  and maybe the Castle
Range