[CBQ] Branchline Pullman Cars

To: "CBQ@yahoogroups.com" <CBQ@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [CBQ] Branchline Pullman Cars
From: Bob Webber <rgz17@comcast.net>
Date: Fri, 13 Apr 2007 18:33:32 -0500
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Ah.. Yes, there is a big difference there.

First, you have to get the Bulletin No. 42.

Then you have to narrow the focus, as the trains equipment changed
from year to year - and season from season with in that year.  As I
have been attempting to put together the same thing, I can tell you,
it's not the easiest thing.

Fortunately for you, the Q side is a lot easier than if you are
attempting a WP or D&RGW version.  The baggage cars and coaches are
available via NKP Car and you can or soon will have variations of
those - I would dearly love to see a pre-war Budd offering to enable
us to do the diner and coach.

But... specific to HW Pullmans.   The main A/C variation was
mechanical/brine.  There were some ice A/C - again, this is where the
Bulletin comes in handy.  The hardest car (used in almost all
periods) to come up with is going to be the 16 section tourist
car.  The 10-1-1  when it comes out by Branchline, will be
perfect.  The 10-1-2 is correct - but be careful as there were 2585s
and 3585s assigned.  (Note - these were assigned NOT leased as the
text indicates (pre 1948)).  8-5s - CLOVERs are another hard car to
find - and not any CLOVER will do - CLOVERs were rebuilds, and the
starting points were not all the same, thus the end result were not
all the same.  8-3-1s can be done now with NKP Car sides and some
work.  12-1s can be used - take care that the car modeled is a 3410
and the A/C is correct.  During the war years, 10 section obs were
used - and sometimes at other periods as well.  The Lambert obs is
perfect for that.  I modified one with a Branchline underframe and a
Walthers interior.  A LOT of work, but it looks a LOT better, and
will track a lot better as well.  Unfortunately, the Solarium obs
just released by Walthers is not right for this use - and it would
take a LOT of work to make it useful.

Now, the real fun part is ensuring that the car used had A/.C at
all.  For a period the 14-sections were used as dorms - but those
didn't have A/C.  Not easy to do with a Branchline - until the
non-A/C roof comes out.   The 12-1s also occasionally ran as non-A/C cars.

I'm modeling the 30s and 40s. Working on the Exposition Flyer. Now using
Walthers sleepers. I've heard good things about Branchline cars. My
question is what Branchline Pullman cars to order to for use on a Burlington
train of those yrs. Were they just standard Pullman cars, or was there
something special or different about Pullman cars used on Q trains?
Dale

Bob Webber