RE: [CBQ] Branchline Pullman Cars

To: <CBQ@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: RE: [CBQ] Branchline Pullman Cars
From: "Dave Lambert" <dave@dglambert.com>
Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2007 17:33:28 -0400
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Loren,

Without getting either too technical or too detailed, the Allied Full
Cushion trucks had certain design and structural shortcomings that could and
often did result in the truck sideframes detaching from the truck journals.

Railroad management frowns on this kind of behavior in a high speed (or low
speed, for that matter) truck.

A second problem was directly related to the first. Preventive maintenance
on these trucks-at least spotting the potential for this problem was
concerned-was nearly impossible without dropping a wheel set.

The trucks were declared forbidden for interchange by the AAR effective
9-1-1959.

Regards,

Dave Lambert

  _____