RE: [CBQ] Branchline Pullman Cars

To: <CBQ@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: RE: [CBQ] Branchline Pullman Cars
From: "Dave Lambert" <dave@dglambert.com>
Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2007 09:38:11 -0400
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Cy,

I'd be very pleased to know what evidence you have that the Pullman Company
which built the sleepers and operated the sleepers and the kitchens for the
Defense Plant Corporation during the War, was not having these problems with
the Allied Full Cushion trucks.

I believe they were.

There is plenty of evidence in Railway Age, and other trade publications in
the immediate post-war era that many railroads (GN, NP, PRR for example)
were very aware of these problems. That's a major reason why these roads
passed during the post-war auctions of the troopers.

As I mentioned, the very best maintenance on these trucks still didn't
prevent catastrophic high-speed failures. That's why the AAR finally forbade
them in interchange, they were just too dangerously unpredictable to
operate.

To make matters worse, they were very hard-riding.

Best regards,

Dave Lambert

  _____