[CBQ] Branchline Pullman Cars

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [CBQ] Branchline Pullman Cars
From: Bob Webber <rgz17@comcast.net>
Date: Fri, 13 Apr 2007 14:55:45 -0500
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
It depends on era, assignments and seasons.

Era is either between 1923-1948/9 and 1949-mid 60's.  Before 1923,
the Branchline cars will do you no good, as that is the first
occurrence of the 3nnn series plan cars (as opposed to the
2nnn).  The latter era reflects the distribution of the assets from
Pullman's divestiture after the 3 suits brought by the government
related to anti-trust violations.

Assignments are important as specific series of cars were assigned to
specific trains.  In some cases, in the latter era, these could be
either from the newly constituted Pullman Pool, or from the cars the
CB&Q received from divestiture and now owned.  The easiest way to
determine that is to look in the PTT of the period you are interested
in and look at the equipment section for the train you are interested
in.  It will typically provide the floor plan for the sleepers and in
some cases if they are HW or LW.  In most cases, it's relatively easy
to tell.   Not in all cases, as there were LW & HW 16 section cars
(as one example).  Consists are another method of determining cars.

Seasons are as important as the other two because of the change in
equipment that the summer season typically brought - although there
were some changes due to winter trains for ski extras as well.   But,
typically, it was the summer trains that expanded and typically, (at
least in the 40's and 50's) that is where you might see the HWs.

Having said all that (for post 1948), the 14 section is a good car -
but.  The 12-1 section is a good car.. but.   The 10-1-1 (date TBD)
is a good car .. but.. The "but" is that you have to be VERY sure you
get the car with  the correct equipment.   You have to take a look at
the car you want, vs the equipment it had vs the assignment.  It
isn't hard to do thanks to Tom Maddens database (at the Pullman
Project web site).

But - before you go there, you have to decide the first three
picks.  Figure out where and when, and then the cars will somewhat
drop into place.  Unfortunately, a lot of the cars the Q got were
rebuilds (unfortunately for us, not the Q) and thus they are a bit
harder to come by.  Fortunately for us, Tom, at NKP Car has developed
some sides to combine with the Branchline core to add to the fleet -
like the TOWER series 8-1-3s.