Re: [CBQ] Branchline Pullman Cars

To: <CBQ@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: Re: [CBQ] Branchline Pullman Cars
From: "Rob Manley" <robev1630@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Fri, 13 Apr 2007 15:17:21 -0500
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Dale,
What era are you modeling? After the govt. the cars busted up Pullman the cars
were bought by the RRs and named for thier own use.
There are CB&Q lettered cars by Branchline.

Branchline 14 section cars being done for Q

New Lincoln - built for 1929 Ak-Sar-Ben; Plan 3958A; renamed AMERICAN LEGION
7/41; Leased to Pullman 12/48 by CB&Q; Q#630 - later numbered 600; withdrawn
from lease12/58; sold for scrap. (mechanical AC 32 volts)

New Omaha - built for 1929 Ak-Sar-Ben; plan 3958A; Leased to Pullman 12/48 by
CB&Q; Q#633 - later numbered 603; withdrawn from lease 9/64; sold for scrap.
(mechanical AC 32 volts)

New Capitol - built for 1929 Ak-Sar-Ben; Plan 3958A; Leased to Pullman 12/48 by
CB&Q; Q#631 - later numbered 601; withdrawn from lease 2/67; sold for scrap.
(mechanical AC 32 volts

[New Farnam was the fourth car in this series also owned by Q #632 #602 WFL
2/59, sfs]

They should have standard Pullman lettering and Pullman Green. Q numbers were
not applied until the cars were withdrawn from lease. ( I have not seen any
pictures of these cars with Q numbers while still in Pullman service - the Q
numbers may have been only an accounting number and only shown on the books) At
the time they were relettered the "Pullman" was painted out and the cars were
then numbered and CB&Q initials were painted in the center of the car below the
windows. I have not seen any photos of ribbon lettering on these cars. I think
they were held for only a short period of time as "company cars" emergency
sleepers before being scrapped (did not go to work train use).

Information from the Wayner Publication "The Complete Roster of Heavyweight
Pullman Cars" and "The Pullman Company List of Standard and Tourist Cars" dated
11/15/1950.
This is from an old Jim Miller e mail.

Other resources are the 3 books by Bill Glick and the color Freightcar book by
Mike Spoor, Morning Sun...but you knew I'd say that.
The Glick Books will tell you which arrangements you'll need to buy those
unlettered Q cars.
Not accurate for railfanning but an interresting  DVD is "10,000 Blackmen Named
George" the story of the uionizing of the Pullman Porters.

Rob Manley
"We are born in a Pullman house, fed from the Pullman shops, taught in the
Pullman school, catechized in the Pullman Church, and when we die we shall go
to the Pullman Hell."