Re: [CBQ] Light Gray Pullmans

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [CBQ] Light Gray Pullmans
From: Bob Webber <rgz17@comcast.net>
Date: Tue, 04 Mar 2008 21:48:36 -0600
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
As one example of the issues of the P&L: book.  It states that in
1937 there were 4 special paint schemes (Wabash, Milw, PRR & TC) &
the UP-SP-C&NW streamliner version.

This wasn't the case, as there were others on file (notably
Southern's).  Too, in the book, entire schemes and railroads are
missing.  Take for instance, the D&RGW - which had 2 Pullman special
schemes.  The book is derived from 3 notebooks that he received.  It
obviously could not contain all the information, nor could it reflect
all of the railroads in the time period covered.  So, a lot is left
out.  Even the standard Pullman schemes are given short shrift and
are less than complete.  It's not Dubin's fault or even
Kalmbach's.  It's simply the way it is - but it has to be remembered
for that.

As Tom's database has shown, all paint scheme changes didn't even get
documented.  And, they don't give the primary scheme(s).  All we can
go by, until we get concrete evidence, is the photos available
(lamentably few in the case of the TOWERs in the 1941 - 1948 period),
and "SOP".  Everyone who has ever been in a corporation with branch
offices knows that SOP goes out the window when corporate isn't
breathing down their necks.  Look at some of the Denver modifications
on CB&Q steam.  And , while he traveled all over the country with his
drift cards and instructions - and likely his notebooks - there is no
telling what generation those notebooks are - and if there is a
similar set from Richmond, CA.  Where some of these paintings we are
discussing took place.

At 01:55 PM 3/4/2008, Bob Webber wrote:
>But, it is important not to take the P&L notebook as gospe

Bob Webber