Re: [CBQ] Light Gray Pullmans

To: <CBQ@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: Re: [CBQ] Light Gray Pullmans
From: "Charlie Vlk" <cvlk@comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 3 Mar 2008 20:18:13 -0600
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Bob-
I don't think the Elms and other "Silver" cars have Pool Car Light Grey
Paint......
The Pullman P&L Notebook has sketches for the schemes for the C&S/FW&D and
CB&Q/RI cars and none of them
reference the same Light Gray as the Pool Cars (same paint as NYC).   There is
a CB&Q Imitation Aluminum (which is
not the Imitation Aluminum we know and love on F Units....debate for another
thread).  The TZ cars have THREE different
Silver-ish paints called out...for the Pier Panels, the Stripes on the Belt
Rail/Letterboard Rails, and the rest of the carbody.
The Zephyr Rocket cars have a different paint called out.   The color samples
in the back of the book do not match the paint
manufactuer numbers shown in the body of the book but the Pool and NYC cars are
uniformly referenced as "Dark Gray" and
"Light Gray", not Silver Grey or Dulux Aluminum as the Q cars paint is
referenced as.
I don't know what the CB&Q specs called for when and if they repainted the car
but both Pullman notebook pages reference
CB&Q L&P drawings.  It appears that the Zephyr Tower was shipped after the
Cedar Rapids (???renamed Rocket Tower or
another car???) and the paint was different for the RI car as it has a
different reference crossed out.
Charlie Vlk

The paint used originally in DENVER & ZEPHYR TOWER (I don't know
about MISSOURI or ROCKET - would have to look) were originally the
Pullman light grey scheme - like the ELMs got. Only after 1948 (1954
in one case) did they get the CB&Q aluminum scheme. In photos (b/w,
and some color, depending on a lot of factors), the scheme is nearly
the same - but... if you were to look at the paint itself, the light
Pullman grey (which is the paint used in the two tone scheme) is
non-metallic and a deeper hue. The CB&Q paint is meant to serve with
the Zephyr fleet better. The CB&Q paint is the same as that you'd
find under most of the Shadowlining schemes.

.