Re: [CBQ] Light Gray Pullmans

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [CBQ] Light Gray Pullmans
From: Bob Webber <rgz17@comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 03 Mar 2008 08:31:39 -0600
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Rupert,
    Quite a few rebuilt Pullmans were painted in an over all gray /
light grey scheme (the color is indicated as Aluminum gray).  The
ELMs are one example of that.  Cars that were sold to the railroads
in 1948 (or provided to the railroads as part of the divestiture)
were not all used and lettered by the railroads.  Quite a few of the
cars, especially the newer rebuilt cars, were leased back to
Pullman.  For instance, DENVER TOWER was leased back to Pullman, and
wasn't withdrawn from lease until 1963.

   In the case of ZEPHYR TOWER, CB&Q gray (MDD3725A) was applied
on  6/5/1951.  It was withdrawn from lease in 1966.

    WADENA was painted in the shadow lined scheme in nov. 1950, and
then in CB&Q grey in June 1953.  It was withdrawn from lease in 1962.

    LANCASTER CLUB was painted in CB&Q grey in 1954.   Withdrawn from
lease in 1958.

    MINNESOTA CLUB was sold to the New Haven in 1948.

There are differences in the paint schemes applied, and it would
behoove someone wanting to paint something to check on the dates and
the exact scheme applied.  As mentioned, there were more than a few
Pullman owned cars painted in grey, and a lot of cars leased to
Pullman painted in Aluminum or grey.

Just because a car had "PULLMAN" on the letter board didn't
necessarily make it a Pullman owned car.  There were all sorts of
variables in terms of leases and assignments that would modify the
lettering applied to the car.

At 07:07 AM 3/3/2008, Rubert wrote:
>                    I'm curious about the use of light gray or
> aluminum paint applied to some of the Pullman sleepers that were
> purchased from Pullman after 1947, such as Wadena, Lancaster Club
> and Happy Hollow Club.
>
>For example, Zephyr Tower is shown in Mike Spoor's Color Guide with
>Pullman letterboards (and therefore still a "Pullman" sleeper) in
>1964 but painted light gray or aluminum as were other CB&Q-owned
>cars, to simulate (and be used with) the Q's stainless steel
>lightweight fleet.
>
>Was this paint applied whilst the cars were still owned by Pullman
>(i.e. pre-1947) or was it applied after their acquisition?
>
>Whilst on the subject of the ex Pullman cars, was Minnesota Club
>purchased by the Q.  It appears in Bill Glick's Roster as 678 but it
>is missing from the list in Zephyr #22.
>
>Rupert Gamlen
>Auckland NZ

Bob Webber