Re: [CBQ] Dark Grey Pullmans

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com,<CBQ@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: Re: [CBQ] Dark Grey Pullmans
From: Bob Webber <rgz17@comcast.net>
Date: Sat, 08 Mar 2008 10:19:49 -0600
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Rupert,
Pullman had 3 standard colors during the steel era - green, two tone
grey and dark grey (the latter being less common by far).

Most railroads that owned ex Pullman owned cars after the divestiture
merely leased them right back to Pullman, and it was difficult to
determine who really owned them merely by looking at them.   On the
other hand, some cars looked exactly like the other of the car in
that road's home fleet.  It really depended upon the assignment and
service that the car was intended to support.  For instance, the 14
section cars that the Burlington picked up, didn't get painted in the
Pullman colors, but instead were green with BURLINGTON on the letterboard.

Pullman also had a large amount of "special schemes" that were a
fairly small percentage of the total cars before 1941 and a larger
percentage after divestiture and when the cars so painted were mostly
leased back to Pullman.  So you did see aluminum painted, shadow
lined, grey painted, etc. cars still with the Pullman letterboard,
often with the owning roads reporting marks on the corners.

At 01:18 AM 3/8/2008, Rupert & Maureen wrote:
>Bob
>
>Thanks for that clarification about the grey colour.  I had previously
>assumed that any ex-Pullmans owned by the Q that had black signage on a
>light background had been painted by the Q as  imitation stainless steel,
>and recorded them as such, not realising that Pullman also used grey as
>opposed to greeen.
>
>Rupert
>Auckland NZ

Bob Webber