Re: [CBQ] Empty Can Waybill

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [CBQ] Empty Can Waybill
From: Jpslhedgpeth@aol.com
Date: Tue, 04 Mar 2008 23:26:41 -0500
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Bob

This would be the waybill for the free return of an empty cream can.\

Cream was shipped from the farm via the local depot and moved as baggage on
passenger or mixed trains?to the creamery in whatever was the nearest city
having such operation.

The freight was paid by the creamery at destination and the can was returned
free to the farmer via reverse route.

Find a photo of a small town depot from the early 1900's to the late 1950's and
usually you see a number of cans sitting in front of the depot on the ground or
on baggage trucks waiting to be loaded out on the next train.

The waybills were usually attached by a twisted wire through the handle of the
can and through a reinforced hole in the waybill.? The cans usually had the
creamery name painted on them.

Pete