Re: [CBQ] Re: Chicago Union Station

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [CBQ] Re: Chicago Union Station
From: Aeolus3@aol.com
Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2006 03:35:20 EST
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
The heating of the Budd Suburban Bi levels was steam from the E units. The
electric lighting was supplied by the rebuilt power cars. Although two of the
bi
levels could have electric lighting supplied by jumping it off the E's.

Depending on what time from 1950-1970 you're modeling many different types of
power could be used with the Budds, from Pacific type steam engines, shovel
nose "A" units, E5's, E7's, E8's, or E9's. Also if memory serves although it
didn't last two long... a GP7 or GP9 was set up for Dinky Service. I think I
remember hearing it lasted one day as very poor "take off" power! After the
E9's
arrived the Q liked to keep as many E9's from the Zephyr pool as possible
owing to the higher horse power. But again when an E would start to add mileage
up, it would find itself in the Dinky pool for a while.

Of course the best known steam engine on a Dinky was of course in 1964 when
O5B #5632 painted in gold ran west from CUS to Aurora. I was down at the Aurora
Station and watched the high stepping O5 come into town. Also I would suspect
Hudsons would have shown up from time to time.

If you can find a copy the old PTJ had an artical over a 2 month period
written by Ed De Rouin, on the Q's Dinky Operations. I don't know about the
rights
to the artical that Ed wrote but it would be wonderful if somehow it could be
reprinted. As usual from Ed the artical made for great reading. The photos
were great as well! I can't remember the dates off hand but along with the BRHS
Bulletin on the Dinkies, both make for very interesting reading. Trains back in
the 1950's did an artical again over two months on the Burlington.

Loren Johnson