Re: [CBQ] Re: Chicago Union Station

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [CBQ] Re: Chicago Union Station
From: John Ziola <johnsclubs@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Fri, 17 Nov 2006 09:48:47 -0800 (PST)
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Bill,

  I am older but not enough to have seen it if it was gone in the early 30's,
must been the turntable that made me think roundhouse was there.

  John

clipperw@EarthLink.net wrote:
          John,

Unless you are a lot older than I am (63), you probably don't really
remember a roundhouse at Downers. It was gone before I was born in
1943. My late dad remembered the roundhouse and talked about it. Some
of us have found a few photos of it, but that is all. The ones I have
seen were taken by A. W. Johnson and show 10 wheelers in the house.

The story that I heard was that when the atlantics were assigned to
suburban service, the roundhouse was too short for them. It was torn
down about that time (late '20s or early '30s). I have heard that
there were plans to build a new locomotive facility about where
Edward Hines Lumber Company exists, today. However, the depression
and WWII deferred those plans and when dieselization was imminent,
they were dropped.

Of course, the turntable, water tank and water column were located
where the tall microwave tower is today at the end of Oakwood Avenue
and Warren Avenue. The water tank was immediately adjacent to the
side walk while the water column was further south adjacent to the
yard lead track. The turntable, itself, was about where the microwave
tower stands and the roundhouse (when it existed) was immediately
west of the table. If I am not mistaken, the turntable was replaced
when the pacifics came along. As a kid, I remember walking to town
past the water tank in the winter. It always had huge icicles hanging
from it that formed giant columns all the way to the ground!

Sorry about your memory playing tricks.

Bill Barber