[CBQ] Re: Chicago Union Station

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [CBQ] Re: Chicago Union Station
From: Ed DeRouin <Ed@pixelspublishing.com>
Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2006 08:14:35 -0600
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Rupert:

Thank you for the plug!

Since I monitor this list in a daily digest, I do not always have the
opportunity to fire a quick reply.

John:

Chicago Union Station - A Look at its History and Operations Before
Amtrak by yours truly is available directly from us at Pixels
Publishing, PO Box 10, La Fox, IL 60147-0010. More information and an
order form may be found at  our web site at www.pixelspublishing.com.

Regarding your question about intermodal operations, in the era you
described as the CZ period (1949-1970), the business was known as
piggyback. Some containers were being hauled. The Cicero piggyback
ramp was located north of the mainline along the south side of
Freight House #9. In the eras of your interest, solid piggyback
trains were unheard of. At best, the few flats with trailers were
generally found on the rear of higher priority freights.

A new train began operation in late 1967 when much of the mail
business was relegated to movement in freight trains. More will be
found on that subject in my upcoming book, Moving Mail and Express by
Rail, which will go to the printer shortly after the new year begins.

Best regards,

Ed DeRouin