Re: [CBQ] Re: Late 60's California Zephyr consists

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [CBQ] Re: Late 60's California Zephyr consists
From: Aeolus3@aol.com
Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2005 11:39:40 EST
In the early 1960's the original 16 section sleepers were rebuilt to 48
reclining seat chair cars with no external changes. The cars kept their
original
names.

I would drop the consist down to this, all CZ cars, possibly 9 car consist
would work.

1 Baggage
2 Domes
1 Dome/Dorm/Buffet
1 Diner
1 6/5 Sleeper
2 10/6 Sleepers (if cost is considered drop to 1 10/6 Sleeper)
1 Dome Observation

Through out the CZ's run from 1949-1970 the consist pretty much remained the
same with the exception of the first year of operation. In the first year the
16 section sleeper and a 10/6 sleeper ran behind the dome/dorm/buffet, with
the diner running behind the two sleepers. This was changed after the first
summer of operation. The reason I've been told was the fact that the passengers
from the 16 section and the 10/6 would go forward to the buffet for drink and
snack service instead of going to the observation car at the rear of the train.

In the later years the consist from photos I've seen, dropped one dome coach,
and a couple of sleepers. Although it may have happened.... I've never seen a
photo of the CZ without an observation car.

For the guys modeling the CZ in the early years 1949-1952 remember the 6/5
sleepers were bought in 1952 along with two 10/6 sleepers (Silver Chasm and
Silver Crag both were Q), one 16 section sleeper (Silver Cedar Q), and one
Observation Silver Lookout Q). Unlike the original 10/6 sleepers, the 1952
Silver
Crag and Silver Chasm did not have the extra windows in the isle side of the
double bedrooms. All of the original 10/6's built for the CZ including the PRR
10/6 Silver Rapids, along the isle side of the double bedrooms there were 6
windows. Thus a passenger could open the door and see out of both sides of the
train. Silver Crag and Chasm didn't have the extra 3 windows. Why? I don't
know.
Perhaps cost?

Silver Crag was in the Montgomery wreck in Sept of 1964.

Loren Johnson

http://us.click.yahoo.com/Tcy2bD/SOnJAA/cosFAA/8ZCslB/TM