Re: [CBQ] Re: Late 60's California Zephyr consists

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [CBQ] Re: Late 60's California Zephyr consists
From: Bob Webber <rswebber@concentric.net>
Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2005 12:46:06 -0600
Why would you drop the number of domes?  That was the one constant that I
have found - of course, a lot of this depends on seasons.  But even when I
took it in the mid and late 60's the one constant was the four back-to-back
domes in the front.  Most photos I've seen still have this configuration -
and most of the slides I have - in fact I've seen more of a six dome train
than a 4 dome train.

I would drop the consist down to this, all CZ cars, possibly 9 car consist
would work.
1 Baggage
2 Domes
1 Dome/Dorm/Buffet

What time period (and season) are you referring to with the 4
domes?  Another crucial element in the consist is season and month.  For
instance, a mid-Oct. might be lower volume that a mid-December, Mid March,
September or Summer train.  I haven't figured out why some February trains
retain train length as well as they did, but they sure seem to stay
stabilized if not expand.    I would drop Pullmans before th coaches in any
case - when I took it in the latter part of the 60's it almost took on the
appearance of the RGZ, due to there being only one or two Pullmans, but a
full complement of domes.

Of the 60 consists I have only one is below 11 cars - and that is a 2nd
section.  And the majority are more.  The gentleman on the PCL list who
provided insight on the reservation system always indicated that the CZ was
"too long anyway" when indicating that the DZ was the one where additional
cars were added for space.  I've yet to ask him about that, perhaps it's
past time.  I just considered it to be in reference to the designed length
and horsepower requirements of the original trainset and power.

http://us.click.yahoo.com/Tcy2bD/SOnJAA/cosFAA/8ZCslB/TM