Re: [CBQ] Re: Late 60's California Zephyr consists

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [CBQ] Re: Late 60's California Zephyr consists
From: Bob Webber <rswebber@concentric.net>
Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2005 10:08:36 -0600
Not that I know of off the top of my head, but I will check (as it does
ring a dim bell somewhere).

I did ask about the comment regarding the length of CZ consists.  And the
reason relates to the public spaces.  For the CZ to expand past the nominal
11-13 designed length, the diner and lounge space would be stretched very
thin.  The CZ was supposed to be akin to a cruise experience as opposed to
the DZ being an overnight train (and thus if you added a diner or more
cars, less of an imposition).  Plus if you added more sleepers, you
wouldn't have as much lounge space or some space (for first class).

That doesn't mean it didn't go past the 13 car limit.  There are 3 17 car
trains, one 16, and 2 15 car trains out of the 60 I've put in the
spreadsheet so far.

http://us.click.yahoo.com/EpW3eD/3MnJAA/cosFAA/8ZCslB/TM