Re: [CBQ] Re: Late 60's California Zephyr consists

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [CBQ] Re: Late 60's California Zephyr consists
From: Bob Webber <rswebber@concentric.net>
Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2005 10:26:51 -0600
At 09:41 AM 1/13/2005, you wrote:
>Good info .... Actually my repsonse should have stated that I was
>referring to a first section consist and yes, I neglected to mention
>the inclusion of foreign road sleepers and coaches and tourist
>additions: these give you quite a bit of leeway in modeling .... but
>there were also times during the year when these additions were not
>present - plenty of photo info to back this up. I rode the CZ once
>during the sixties and the consist on that run was a pure CZ trainset
>except for a single prr car.

This has been a frustrating part of the analysis for me - the photos.  I've
come to the conclusion that photographers didn't want to take "impure"
consists.   If you think about it, it makes some sense.  There was a sense
of disappointment when there was a foreign car in the consist that broke up
the symmetry and the look.  And, it's not like the train wouldn't be back
later in the day (going the other direction) or tomorrow.  On the other
hand, I have slides of the CZ with foreign cars in consist, but compared to
the pure stainless, few and far between.  I have photos of the D&RGW Budd
domes in consist, but not many.

>The business about the second section on the CZ is new to me: where
>would I find more information and photos about this ?
The second section consists were in the Zephyr handouts, and photos appear
in various books - in the Rio Grand color book (I don't have the exact one
handy), there is one with a real dog's breakfast of a 2nd section - not one
car was a Zephyr car.  On the Q,  Lancaster Club shows up an awful lot on
these 2nd sections.  So, figure that anything in the yard not assigned to a
specific train could go out.

http://us.click.yahoo.com/EpW3eD/3MnJAA/cosFAA/8ZCslB/TM