Re: [CBQ] Which direction did the domes run?

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [CBQ] Which direction did the domes run?
From: "Dennis C. Henry" <dchenry@gac.edu>
Date: Sun, 11 Apr 2004 20:30:59 -0500
The Burlington did run the KCZ parlor-obs cars backwards in Twin Cities
Zephyr service, but I believe that the dome seats could be rotated.  There
was a lively series of letters in Trains Magazine on the subject of running
the cars backwards, about 1966 as I recall.  I'm sure some others on this
list can narrow this down more.

Yes, the IC did awful things to the front windows of Budd dome coaches, but
only to those they bought in the late 1960's from the Mopac, not the 4-4-4
dome sleepers from the NP in seasonal service.  The Q's dome sleepers for
the NCL (Nos. 304-305) were not among those the IC leased in the winter.

Dennis Henry

At 07:33 PM 4/11/04, you wrote:
>The trains were always wyed, turned, or looped at the ends so that dome
>passengers always faced forward.  On the CP and Via trains, the passengers
>rode
>forward, but entered and exited forward except in the tail car, where the
>stairway was in the normal position toward the rear of the car.  In the
>ACF-built
>domes on the UP "City" trains, the floor in the dome was lower or the
>seats not
>high enough, so visibility forward was not as good as in a Budd-built dome.
>When the IC leased an NP dome off the North Coast Limited for winter Florida
>business, the IC plated over the front windows, removing all possibility of
>forward vision.  The Burlington's and Budd's design was best.  Jim N.

Dennis C. Henry, Owner and General Manager
Brass Car Sides                         Phone: (507) 931-2784
715 South 7th St.                               e-mail: dchenry@gac.edu
St. Peter,
MN  56082-1435
<http://www.brasscarsides.com>http://www.brasscarsides.com
Passenger Car Parts for the Streamliners - Serving the Hobby Since 1978

http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511