Re: [BRHSlist] South Hill at Albia

To: <BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: Re: [BRHSlist] South Hill at Albia
From: "Steven Holding" <s.holding@c...>
Date: Sat, 16 Jun 2001 23:41:15 -0500
The North Hill at Albia is about a mile shorter then the South and has a mile
of 1.32 grade while the South Hill is a longer run with a more constant .7 to
.85 grade. BN moved Halpin west two miles so the coal trains could get a better
run on the hill and be with in the CTC. Would not put more in acct COST.
One afternoon I had a work train working on the South Hill and six eastbound
coal trains out of Creston. As the first arrived at Halpin the work train
reported he had one of his motors on the ground. So after Amtrak went west I
had No. 2 push No. 1 up the North Hill and run back for his train. Then we
started up No. 2 being pushed by No.3 Etc till No. 6 pushing Nol. 5 up the hill
asked me what he was to do. I stated He would double and the relief crew was
called.
But this was not the only bad hill as the entire division rolls very bad. And
often the conductor could walk up the hill faster then the engineer could pull
the train

SJH