Re: [BRHSlist] Re: U25B's

To: BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [BRHSlist] Re: U25B's
From: Bill Chambers <ace1942us@y...>
Date: Tue, 27 Aug 2002 09:22:59 -0700 (PDT)
Hello, Warren.

> > I've never been there, Bill - simply heard the
> > account from some of the maintenance people who
had
> > to deal with it - but I believe it *is* somewhere
> > west of Albia. The guys referred to it as "The
> > Albia Pumper".

> am asking, if this fill could be on the south albia
> hill? isn't there some cuts and fills on the south
> hill?

That would be what we in Albia call the "South Track."
I recall being told by one of my junior-high teachers
that the South Track, or Cutoff, was built to enable
the eastbound trains to avoid the hill on the North
Track that ran past the passenger depot. This hiss is
the "Albia Pumper." I rode over it on the eastbound
CZ
about 3 weeks ago. I can say that there is
considerable difference between the levels of the two
tracks, which indicates to me that the Albia Pumper
requires a lot of horses to get a train over the top
of
it.

> this is off subject as does not relate to the Q,

But it DOES relate to the Q. Indeed, we are talking
about the Q's Chicago-Denver main line here.

> hope i don't get yelled at, but believe there was a
> derailment on the south hill in late 70s early 80s

There was a derailment east of Albia, near the little
settlement of Frederick, sometime in the 70s, if
memory
serves me right. However, the Q did a very good job
of
maintaining its track and it had fewer wrecks than did
some other roads in Iowa.

Bill