Re: [BRHSlist] Re: U25B's

To: <BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: Re: [BRHSlist] Re: U25B's
From: Jim's Junction/ John & Debbie Olson <trains28@a...>
Date: Mon, 12 Aug 2002 11:50:13 -0600
Glen and everyone,

The U25B's were allowed to run west of Sheridan for the 50 miles to Lodge
Grass and their higher horsepower could be used both ways over Parkman Hill
but they could not run north of Lodge Grass. I don't think the ban on U25B's
north of Lodge Grass was very longed lived. Since the SD-9's had been the
dominant power on this part of the 'Q' for quite a few years, after the
4-unit sets of F-3's had gone back east, and the fact that the SD-9's were
easy on the rail, upgrading the line had not become a priority. The advent
of 'second generation' power with heavier axle loadings etc changed the
situation and the 'Q' made necessary upgrades to the line. Although the
U25B, GP-20, GP-30, GP-35 & GP-40's would make occasional appearances on
the Casper and Sheridan Divisions, it was the SD-7/9 & U25/28C that called
this part of the system 'home'. GP-7/9's were almost nonexistent on these
Divisions since they didn't have Dynamic Brakes.

John Olson
Billings, Mt.