Re: [BRHSlist] Re: Albia & Halpin

To: <BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: Re: [BRHSlist] Re: Albia & Halpin
From: "Steven Holding" <s.holding@c...>
Date: Sun, 17 Jun 2001 23:53:56 -0500
Can not remeber when Halpin was moved. But is was moved so you could hold a
coal train east of Halpin and not get stuck on the hill.
21st century railroading. When it rains or snows or gets frost on the rail
Helper service is started on the hill.

The first work on the Four Mile Bridge was to redo the braces so Double Stacks
could go thru it. You will notice a lot of other bridges have been undercut or
braces changed for the same reason. Later bridge was replaced so heavier train
can operate. Some trains on the Mainline(Galesburg-Aurora)have speed
restrictions over the high bridges between Buda and Princeton as they are old
and cars are getting heavier.

In the move from Cicero to Galesburg I was bumped off 2nd Mainline and took the
2nd trick swing job 2 Mainline, 2 Ottumwa and one C&I Until Jan '88 when took
second trick Ottumwa which I held converting the job from Train Order to Track
Warrent and then to Computer Track Warrents. Till Aug. 91 when some one younger
went on vacation who was working an Administrative Chief Job. I move on it for
the week vacation not knowing it was a Temporary Job. Rode it till It was
abolished for the move to Ft. Worth When I moved back to 2nd Mainline(1993)
Been on 2nd Union Ave since May of '99 Being off the job I have forgot a lot of
what made the job run.

Notes from an old Time Book
SJH