Re: U25B's

To: BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: U25B's
From: "liljop" <wulrich@a...>
Date: Tue, 27 Aug 2002 18:55:38 -0000
--- In BRHSlist@y..., Bill Chambers <ace1942us@y...> wrote:
> Hello, Warren.
>

> > am asking, if this fill could be on the south albia
> > hill? isn't there some cuts and fills on the south
> > hill?
>
> That would be what we in Albia call the "South Track."
> I recall being told by one of my junior-high teachers
> that the South Track, or Cutoff, was built to enable
> the eastbound trains to avoid the hill on the North
> Track that ran past the passenger depot.

we called em south hill and north hill.

> This hiss is the "Albia Pumper." I rode over it on the
> eastbound CZ about 3 weeks ago. I can say that there is
> considerable difference between the levels of the two
> tracks, which indicates to me that the Albia Pumper
> requires a lot of horses to get a train over the top
> of it.
>
> > this is off subject as does not relate to the Q,
>
> But it DOES relate to the Q. Indeed, we are talking
> about the Q's Chicago-Denver main line here.

to me its the BNs chicago to denver main. the Q's main went away
march 1970. i appologize, guess a matter of semantics. anything
after the merger i don't consider Q, but instead in my mind its
green. so coal train stuff, i think of BN and see green. guess i
just live in the past. the Q was 61, 67A, ACD, CD, CDGI, CGI, LC70,
LPB, LW68, GI68, not chidenmoct12 or denchitraintypeandwhateverdate,
red motors, greybacks, everywhere west, route of the zephyrs, not
some kind of green. (although there was some ugly green sd's in
early 1969 that did turn your stomach. nice new power but whats this
GREEN??, you thought the first time you saw those new 500s. what is
going on here, while forgetting about the last protection agreement
that you had just signed)

< /rant >

> > hope i don't get yelled at, but believe there was a
> > derailment on the south hill in late 70s early 80s
>
> There was a derailment east of Albia, near the little
> settlement of Frederick, sometime in the 70s, if
> memory serves me right. However, the Q did a very good
> job of maintaining its track and it had fewer wrecks than did
> some other roads in Iowa.

yes sir, agree the Q did a good job of maintaning their track,
although it degraded some in the 60s. the BN had the problems, from
march 1970 on. was just talking to a west ottumwa 41 man (engineman)
and he gave up his pool turn in preference to one of the des moines
turns because of the rough ride on the main from ottumwa to creston.
IIRC, he gave up his pool turn in 1971 or 72 and bid on a des moines
turn. stayed on this until he retired, in 80 or 81. of course in
respect to the MOW and Roadmaster folks, the BN employees, and
possibly management too, had no idea what those coal trains would do
to their once great ROW.

> Bill

warren