Re: [BRHSlist] Ballast

To: BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [BRHSlist] Ballast
From: "John D. Mitchell, Jr." <cbqrr47@y...>
Date: Tue, 27 Aug 2002 21:28:41 -0700 (PDT)
Yes Leo, I remember the "great fun" of using hopper
cars with the doors chained and a tie against the
wheels. The "fun" ended when the chain slipped and
about 15 tons of slag went out. The back truck went
"on the ground" and the real work started. The
"improved spreader tie" had a pair of angle bars
spiked to it so the wheels wouldn't cut in too far. I
also remember that slag was pure murder to shovel.
Using what you had was how the Q paid dividends to the
GN and NP.
John D. Mitchell, Jr.