Re: U25B's

To: BRHSlist@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: U25B's
From: "liljop" <wulrich@a...>
Date: Wed, 28 Aug 2002 20:01:47 -0000
--- In BRHSlist@y..., Bill Chambers <ace1942us@y...> wrote:
> Hello, Warren.
>

> I noticed something strange on my recent trip. The Q
> crossed the Des Moines River on a large, 5-truss
> bridge
> a few miles west of the Ottumwa depot. I have always
> heard the bridge referred to as the "4-Mile Bridge."
> When the CZ crossed the river, I noticed that the old
> bridge had been removed and a 2-truss installed. Do
> you have any idea when this happened, and why the old
> bridge was replaced? Also, given that Amtrak and
> several freight trains utilize the route, did the
> bridge stay open or was traffic rerouted?

bridge was mp 284 ottumwa depot was mp 280 (yard office 279)
was reading somewhere several years ago about the 4 mile bridge
work, don't know if it was the replacement you are talking about or
just some work on the 'new' bridge. got a laugh from this
conversation as went something like ".... bridge is called 4 mile
bridge. don't have a clue how far it is from ottumwa" doh... come
on homer....
when my dad was leaving town on either 17-CZ or 1-DZ, some of the
family would keep track of his pass pool turn and would take their
boats down to the bridge in the summer to wave at 'uncle joe' as he
roared across the bridge heading west to creston. he remarked he saw
the kids at the bridge last trip. they are in their 80s now and
still talk about that.

warren