Re: [BRHSlist] Milwaukee 261at Oregon, IL

To: BRHSlist@egroups.com
Subject: Re: [BRHSlist] Milwaukee 261at Oregon, IL
From: marshall <zephyr03@s...>
Date: Thu, 25 May 2000 06:41:07 -0500
BNJohn@a... wrote:

> Last year Dave Lotz and I talked to the BNSF in regard to just repainting two
> of there loco's for the Q's anniversary, we wanted to have them in Chicago
> for the BRHS fall meet after that they could have used them for employee
> special's. We were told by the big shots that they were not interested in
> there heritage and if they have to do it for one then they would have to do
> it for all the predecessor roads. The Frisco was celebrating an anniversary
> also last year and the BNSF made sure to let us know that they were only
> interested in making money and not interested in railfans. When 1522 broke
> down Mr. Krebs was over heard to say that if the BNSF owned that #$%@!#$ loco
> he would have had it cut up on the spot. We had a lot of inside help and it
> still did no good, I think if you want to see a Q loco run again your best
> bet is to talk to one of the museum's that have one already running. The BNSF
> is NOT HUMAN and they are nothing more than a corporate machine.

It looks like somebody should dig out the news-magazine interview with
L. W. Menk from around 25 years ago. He was whining about the general
public (hence the shippers) lacking awareness of the Burlington
Northern - even had a letter from a lady expressing interest in
Burlington Northern, and then requesting "a sample pair of panty hose"
(Burlington Mills) that he showed the interviewer. This from the man
who had, as one of his first acts on the CB&Q, killed the steam heritage
program; who had successfully wiped Frisco passenger trains from the map
and was trying to do the same to Zephyrs as fast as he could write
"train off" petitions; and who periodically begged Amtrak to move their
trains off of BN trackage.

"The more things change, the more they stay the same" <sigh>

Marshall