Re: [CBQ] Empty GN/NP Box Car Extras

To: CBQ@groups.io
Subject: Re: [CBQ] Empty GN/NP Box Car Extras
From: "leakinmywaders via groups.io" <leakinmywaders=yahoo.com@groups.io>
Date: Sun, 11 Apr 2021 23:03:41 -0700
Sender: CBQ@groups.io
Bill: Interesting stuff, thanks!  That’s the first I’ve heard of a ban on roller loads, and guys working for the NP in the late 60s have reported being quite familiar with the practice, so I wonder if that ban was temporary, and/or ineffective.

Your comments on the spreading of EB traffic among multiple interchange roads got me thinking about a sales agent spreading rollers around the country, so at any given time he’d have a load within a day or 2 of most any buyer that rang him up.

The east-west disparity in boxcars was so bad that the NP and GN both worked deals with lessor AA Morrison to buy older boxcars by the hundreds off the NE railroads’  bad order lines, refurbish them with double doors, and lease them for lumber service. So they were cheap rolling stock that saw high utilization and big net profit for the NP, and presumably GN.

Chris Frissell
Polson, MT
_._,_._,_

Groups.io Links:

View/Reply Online (#61821) | Reply To Group | Reply To Sender | Mute This Topic | New Topic

_._,_._,_