Re: [CBQ] Empty GN/NP Box Car Extras

To: "whirt@fastmail.com" <whirt@fastmail.com>, "CBQ@groups.io" <CBQ@groups.io>
Subject: Re: [CBQ] Empty GN/NP Box Car Extras
From: "jpslhedgpeth via groups.io" <jpslhedgpeth=aol.com@groups.io>
Date: Mon, 12 Apr 2021 16:04:46 +0000 (UTC)
Sender: CBQ@groups.io
RE Lumber  "rollers"

All this conversation about "rollers" brings back memories of my days as a brakeman on the Lincoln and Wymore Divisions in the late 1950's.

At that time 1956-58 there was the matter of  boxcars of lumbers being held at various sidings awating disposition.  The siding I have in mind was at BERKS just a few miles East of Crete, NE The "Siding" and it was a real Timetable Siding..not just an auxiliary track was almost always full of boxcars of lumber awaiting dispositon.

I was working the Crete-Wymore local for it seemed like..many many days..It was a 16 hour job coming back from Wymrore to Lincoln wi;th most of that time being used for switching Cete Mills and we were almost always on overtime when we left Crete after finishing 5-6 hours of the night switching and OT or not..We were TIRES AND HUNGREY and wanted to "get home'...

About the time we were getting our train together and head for Lincoln the Crete Clerk would come out with a message that we had several cars of Lumber to "dig out"...and I do mean 'DIG OUT" of the siding at Berks..just a couple of miles east of Crete an on the uphill side of the hill that takes the Main Line out of the Blue River Valley and into the bluffs up and down on the way to Lincoln.

Well sometimes there would be 25-30 cars of that 'cursed lumber" on the siding and gues which cars we needed..12th....17th....25th  etc..  Well that maneuver from siding to mainline getting those cars dug out gave us an extra hour or two of OT and...knowing nothing about  rates, routing tarriffs etc we always wondered "what kind of CRAZY routing was responsible for this kind of nonsense.   To make matters worse  many of these cars were  "Foreign"  thusly the Q was paying Per Diem for these cars which were sitting on the siding for extended periods of time.

Just a year or two later after I had gone to work for the Rock Island I discovered that that road had a similar situation at Belleville, KS which was "full of lumber"  Just like we had on the Q.

I had always wondered   and still do...how "profitable" that "Bidness" was which caused such an inordinate amount of  literal  "storage in transit  especially when the cars were "stored" on a foreign road and accumuaing per diem.

Pete