Re: [CBQ] Empty GN/NP Box Car Extras

To: CBQ@groups.io
Subject: Re: [CBQ] Empty GN/NP Box Car Extras
From: "leakinmywaders via groups.io" <leakinmywaders=yahoo.com@groups.io>
Date: Mon, 12 Apr 2021 14:34:23 -0700
Sender: CBQ@groups.io
Great personal perspective on roller loads, Pete -- informative and fun to hear about.

As to costs,  I think we have to bear in mind that storing lumber on site in Washington, Oregon, Idaho or Montana had costs too--especially keeping it out of the weather.  The mills were cranking product out so fast that on-site storage was constantly at capacity.  That plus the jump in delivery time by having the storage nearer the buyers often gave roller brokers a better shot at sales, by significantly beating the transcon delivery time (as long as guys like you were out there to pull the cars).   I think it might have been Bill above who pointed out  some of this was greased by per diem costs of boxcars being low relative to other costs of doing business.

Chris Frissell
Polson, MT
_._,_._,_

Groups.io Links:

View/Reply Online (#61833) | Reply To Group | Reply To Sender | Mute This Topic | New Topic

_._,_._,_