Re: [CBQ] Empty GN/NP Box Car Extras

To: CBQ@groups.io
Subject: Re: [CBQ] Empty GN/NP Box Car Extras
From: "William Hirt" <whirt@fastmail.com>
Date: Mon, 12 Apr 2021 10:39:20 -0500
Sender: CBQ@groups.io

Chris,

I recall seeing a picture of a train rollers on one of the Burlington branch lines. It was the Cheyenne WY - Sterling CO branch. Normally a train of a SW-1, 2-3 cars, and a waycar. The photo had double headed SW-1s pulling 40 boxcars of roller lumber plus a waycar. The explanation was that caused an extra day for the lumber to be moved east and another day to try and sell it.

The C&NW Modeler had an issue about modeling lumber yards. As part of that issue, there was discussion of roller lumber cars and some of the odd routings the cars would take moving east all to delay arriving at a final destination without being sold.

For many years one of those Morrison lessors sat next to a grain elevator in Rushville MO. The top coat paint had worn enough that the Lackawanna lettering was showing through on the car.

Bill Hirt