Re: [CBQ] Empty GN/NP Box Car Extras

To: CBQ@groups.io
Subject: Re: [CBQ] Empty GN/NP Box Car Extras
From: "William Hirt" <whirt@fastmail.com>
Date: Sat, 10 Apr 2021 09:26:08 -0500
Sender: CBQ@groups.io
From what I've read and seen, the GN and NP liked to spread their eastward traffic around from the Twin Cities. It was pretty evenly split among the railroads for the eastern haul. It wasn't until the BN merger that the bulk of this was switched to Q line to Chicago (no reason to short haul yourself). The merger changed a lot of the traffic patterns.

The 1968 GN wheel reports that have been posted by some GN folks show this distribution. There was as much or more going CNW and SOO as the Q got. The CGW and RI also got their share. There was not an insignificant number of cars handed off to the Q by the GN that made the trip east via the Q to East Winona and then on the GBW to cross Lake Michigan on the ferry to the Ann Arbor.

Since these NP P-S cars were Class A boxcars (clean commodities), the local agent at the location were the car was emptied would attempt to get a Class A load to put in the car for it's return west. The railroad prefers a load rather than shipping one back empty to get the revenue. And since there was a boxcar shortage in the 1960s due to the financial condition of the eastern railroads, finding a load was probably not very difficult. This was a common complaint of the western carriers. If you have BRHS CD of the railroad issued Burlington Bulletins, you'll see this topic was discussed again and again. Also at this time, the primary flow of freight was still east to west across the country, so a relatively new nice boxcar with a relatively clean interior would be a strong candidate for a return load. The flow of empties was much more west to east at that time (with the exception of produce reefers).

I've converted those GN text consists into Excel files. So I've attached them so you can see for yourself.

Bill Hirt