Re: [CBQ] Coal fires in cars ?

To: CBQ@groups.io
Subject: Re: [CBQ] Coal fires in cars ?
From: "Denny Anspach" <danspachmd@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 2 Jan 2019 09:31:30 -0500
Sender: CBQ@groups.io
Could the CB&Q’s locomotives designed and built to burn lignite also burn regular bituminous soft coal equally well?

Wooten firebox Mother Hubbard locomotives: I have often shared the very same question about the scattered such locomotives purchased by western railroads:  why,  when  they were designed specifically to burn anthracite hard coal?  Although the commercial heart of anthracite production was and is eastern PA, there were apparently small pockets of anthracite elsewhere, and perhaps the railroads were tapping into these?

There is an excellent major article in the most recent RAILROAD HISTORY on these interesting locomotives (but does not answer this question).

That all said, I am realizing how little I  know about this subject.

Denny

Denny S. Anspach, MD
307 Stanton Road
Quarryville, PA
17566

_._,_._,_

Groups.io Links:

View/Reply Online (#56502) | Reply To Group | Mute This Topic | New Topic