Re: [CBQ] Coal fires in cars ?

To: <CBQ@groups.io>
Subject: Re: [CBQ] Coal fires in cars ?
From: "Larry and/or Donna Graus" <lagraus@charter.net>
Date: Thu, 3 Jan 2019 11:12:40 -0500
Sender: CBQ@groups.io
PRB coal is high in moisture. When it sits for a long time in an uncompacted
state, it can spontaneously combust. I used to work for one of the co-owners of
Plant Scherer. Tracked dozers were used to move the coal around (along with pan
scrapers). Because of the large surface area of the tracks, they did little to
compact the coal pile. Instead, large rubber-tired were used to compact the
coal. This forced the air (read oxygen) out of the coal. We had at least one
fire in a car caused by heat buildup. The car had been loaded weeks before, was
set out for repair and then sat in a yard in Macon, Georgia, apparently for a
bit too long.

Fires are a near constant occurrence in the PRB mines. They occur when the coal
which sloughs off the face of a freshly uncovered seam is allowed to sit for a
day or two.