Re: [CBQ] Coal fires in cars ?

To: <CBQ@groups.io>
Subject: Re: [CBQ] Coal fires in cars ?
From: "Steven Holding" <sholding@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Tue, 1 Jan 2019 22:27:34 +0000 (UTC)
Sender: CBQ@groups.io
Coal by its nature is organic and just like the bailed up corn stocks in the fall or raked up leaves will build up organic heat given enough heat and you have FIRE
I use to pick up bagged leaves in the fall and run them thru shredder.  The ground leaves would compost out in about a month.  Not unlike PRB Coal.  only I turned the piles weekly to keep the heat in check.  That is the main reason for the earth movers at power plants to turn the coal piles and stop the possible fires.
The Illinoiss State Geological Survey put out bulletins on coal I have 207, 227, 274 and 313 dealing with coal.
Most coal on Steam Railroads was moved to the coal chutes and consummed before fire.  The Illinois Traction(later Terminal) had two large pit areas with concrete linings to store coal for powerhouse use.  The pits would be flooded so no fire was possible.
Steve in SC