Re: [CBQ] Coal fires in cars ?

To: "CBQ@groups.io" <CBQ@groups.io>
Subject: Re: [CBQ] Coal fires in cars ?
From: "HOL WAGNER" <holpennywagner@msn.com>
Date: Wed, 2 Jan 2019 20:51:30 +0000
Accept-language: en-US
Sender: CBQ@groups.io
Denny:

Burlington locomotives equipped to burn lignite were outfitted with special firebox grates that were substantially different than those for bituminous coal.  Additionally, lignite-burners were originally (early 1900s) outfitted with diamond stacks with mesh designed to trap the many sparks emitted in burning that fuel.  By the end of the 1910s the diamond stacks were abandoned (expect on switchers in industrial districts, where they lasted well into the 1920s) and instead the smokeboxes of lignite burners were extended about 18 inches and baffles and mesh netting installed in the smokebox to accomplish the same purpose.  This lengthened smokebox was known on the railroad as the L&B front end and allowed the burning of either lignite or bituminous coal with only the change of grates.  Most coal chutes on Lines West were designed with separate compartments for the two fuels.

As for the Wootten firebox being designed to burn anthracite coal, that seems to hold true only for Eastern roads, as virtually all the Western roads that I know of with Wootten firebox engines bought them with the intent of burning the polar opposite fuel: bituminous slack.  Maybe that's why they were not successful.

Hol