Re: [CBQ] Coal fires in cars ?

To: "CBQ@groups.io" <CBQ@groups.io>
Subject: Re: [CBQ] Coal fires in cars ?
From: "Rupert Gamlen" <gamlenz@hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 2 Jan 2019 22:10:13 +0000
Accept-language: en-NZ, en-US
Sender: CBQ@groups.io

Denny

Does the article refer to the Burlington’s two locomotives or show any 2-8-0’s? I’ve attached a image that Charlie created showing what they may have looked like with standard Burlington design pieces added.

Echoing what Charlie explained, in 1888, Rhodes (Superintendent of Motive Power, Aurora) said -

You will ask, probably, why, if these Wootten engines do the work so thoroughly, we do not have more of them? The reason is partly that our experiments are not thoroughly completed. In the first place we find the fire-box, constructed as these engines are, to be very expensive to maintain. The fire-box doesn't last any length of time; we have to renew it constantly. Further than that, with the ordinary fuel, such as we get in Iowa - the ordinary lump fuel - these engines won't steam well. If you use that lump fuel in such a large grate surface you cannot stop up the air passages; there are too large openings among the large lumps of coal, so that the engines won't steam; but when you take this same fuel and crush it the engines steam remarkably well, and without sparks and hardly any smoke. But it is almost impracticable to use the engines in this way, for we cannot get a sufficient quantity of this pea coal, or screenings, to supply the demand for freight engines on a road like the C. B. & Q. I think, then, that in taking up this matter of extension fronts it is going to be vital with us to consider what kind of fuel we use."

Rupert Gamlen
Auckland NZ