Re: [CBQ] Coal fires in cars ?

To: CBQ@groups.io
Subject: Re: [CBQ] Coal fires in cars ?
From: "Philip Weibler" <pawnbaw@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Tue, 01 Jan 2019 13:59:33 -0800
Sender: CBQ@groups.io
Hello Leo and All -
About a quarter century ago I was working for the other premier railroad in the Midwest when a coal train took a direct hit from a bolt of liightning.  The blast blew most of the coal out of the car - much of it on fire.  That car was set out to have all wheelsets changed out - the roller bearings were all fried to a crisp.
Don't blame the steam locomotives for setting all those r-o-w fires. Back when diesel fuel was cheap and a set of batteries were expensive locomotives might sit and idle for the weekend.  When we put them to work and started beating them over the back flaming bits of carbon would erupt from the exhaust stacks.  Looked like the 4th of July and it went on like that mile after mile. We would hear some radio chatter about field fires.......but it was probably the other guy's engine that did it!  PAW
_._,_._,_

Groups.io Links:

View/Reply Online (#56498) | Reply To Group | Mute This Topic | New Topic