RE: [CBQ] Re: Shipping human remains by rail

To: <CBQ@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: RE: [CBQ] Re: Shipping human remains by rail
From: "Nelson Moyer" <ku0a@mchsi.com>
Date: Sun, 5 Jun 2011 11:12:56 -0500
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=lima; t=1307290388; bh=ZVDt+Z1yXKMoNZrjC/lTTa4RN5dA1PYTSZJ7EVKDmD4=; h=Received:Received:Received:X-Yahoo-Newman-Id:X-Sender:X-Apparently-To:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Authority-Analysis:To:Message-ID:X-Priority:X-MSMail-Priority:X-Mailer:In-Reply-To:Thread-Index:X-MimeOLE:Importance:X-Originating-IP:From:X-Yahoo-Profile:Sender:MIME-Version:Mailing-List:Delivered-To:List-Id:Precedence:List-Unsubscribe:Date:Subject:Reply-To:X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:Content-Type:Content-Transfer-Encoding; b=mh8JXml4aOC91CITFoWVv8MtMshmKxgmWBpuDnpvaEsZugW5KnkKbvGy0X1GBoQj7FPDPPAwR4JE9DQgMnr1pmSc2aRedV1VYjOVNJTAymDLcCVF4PuER2oQwERpzLu2
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
The reason I thought it was the minister (pastor) was that remains were sent
to the church where the funeral was to be held in towns without mortuaries.
The pastor would have to be identified, so the express guys new where to
deliver the body, and the pastor had to sign that he had accepted delivery.
My father was a Methodist pastor in Homer, Alaska in the early 1950s, and
the nearest mortuary was in Anchorage. For local deaths, the pastor served
the role of funeral director, arranging for preparation of the body, storage
of the body, having the casket built, having the grave dug, officiating at
the funeral, signing the death certificate, and having the grave covered. If
a body was shipped in, it was taken to the church and stored there until the
funeral a day or two later. I remember on several occasions having to light
the furnace in the church before a funeral, and having to walk by the casket
going in and out of the church. At age 11 or 12, that is an eerie
experience, being alone in a dark church with a dead body. My mother was a
nurse, and until Homer got a full time doctor and clinic, she frequently was
in charge of moving, washing, dressing, and storing the body until the
casket was built. Local bodies were not embalmed, so the funeral was held
within three days of death. I doubt that paster had anything to do with
paste.

Nelson