Re: [CBQ] Gasoline motor car 1905

To: <CBQ@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: Re: [CBQ] Gasoline motor car 1905
From: "cvlk" <cvlk@comcast.net>
Date: Wed, 11 Aug 2010 11:33:02 -0500
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=lima; t=1281544392; bh=pY3eq5DwdxCsW73nmXT9uynz7YejVOMWy5CPnJsE2mg=; h=Received:Received:Received:X-Yahoo-Newman-Id:X-Sender:X-Apparently-To:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:Message-ID:To:References:X-Priority:X-MSMail-Priority:X-Mailer:X-MimeOLE:X-Originating-IP:From:X-Yahoo-Profile:Sender:MIME-Version:Mailing-List:Delivered-To:List-Id:Precedence:List-Unsubscribe:Date:Subject:Reply-To:X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:Content-Type:Content-Transfer-Encoding; b=GJtrDDTl2CTN05csJIorgLAXTFeiWeDoSxttpM+2OrDRkkgQ+KVX1K3+ERCnHnLS7gkTOYOlFhFNnjVEcA5jiJ++xtuucyo0GB7uLK8V9R31CJMJw2AYq76eWKF8m/xa
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Rupert, Gerald and all...
I don't have the citation handy (got to label, index, and rearrange my computer
files better) but IRRC the 1905 Gas Motor was not the earliest sucessful trials
of alternative motive power on the CB&Q.   With its scientific testing lab
program at Aurora the Q was constantly trying new technology.
Not related to the CB&Q, but indicative of the work going on in the field,
about ten years earlier a new locomotive was tested in Chicago that was a
before-its-time Genset unit.... a prime mover running a generator that charged
batteries that in turn powered traction motors.   It even had regenerative
circuits.  No doubt the battery, prime mover,  and control technology available
at the time conspired against the concept being a sucess, but it is interesting
to see that there is very new under the sun!
On a more directly Q related subject; does anyone have any CB&Q documentation
on the trials of the Farnham Third Rail System that was demonstrated at Clyde?
Farnham worked for the CB&Q and patented an under-running third rail system
that was used by the NYC and the predecessor of the South Shore Line.... it
also had a sectional power activation feature that only energized the
electrical block that the train was drawing power from.   I cannot locate
exactly where the track was that was used for the trials.... from the few
photos I've seen it might be on the north side of the mainline around where
Ryerson Steel was at 26th Street.
Charlie Vlk

    CBQ-digest@yahoogroups.com
    CBQ-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com