Re: [CBQ] Gasoline motor car 1905

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [CBQ] Gasoline motor car 1905
From: STEVEN HOLDING <sholding@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Thu, 12 Aug 2010 05:38:09 -0700 (PDT)
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=lima; t=1281616696; bh=Pwg45U4tVj0NCrKGLTtGOpOKleh45E4AtbyimkesHus=; h=Received:Received:X-Yahoo-Newman-Id:X-Sender:X-Apparently-To:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:Message-ID:X-YMail-OSG:X-Received:X-Mailer:References:To:In-Reply-To:X-Originating-IP:From:X-Yahoo-Profile:Sender:MIME-Version:Mailing-List:Delivered-To:List-Id:Precedence:List-Unsubscribe:Date:Subject:Reply-To:X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:Content-Type:Content-Transfer-Encoding; b=CirI2IXGylz+vmm5rbN1TqgPPiNNKwaNtD7er+bANxl3Xohee/HbFGn2dIOevV99uNCe/JQ/kci/FVkUMyThUWoYQqeFORJieNQNSAcpbGlm/3Da350qf3zeIIT+6Hml
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
One problem with the early motor cars was that of SPEED.
>From the Mack Sales Literature(reprint) I have the Mack AC had only a top
>speed
of 41.5 MPH due in part because of the single large drive wheel in the rear.
And the main reason Mack and others went to a 4-wheel truck on the rear.  For
the narrow gauge that might not have been a problem. But a similar problem
showed up with instability with the GM Areo Train with two wheel trucks vis the
early Zephyrs 4 wheel.
Another interesting figure from the sales literature notes the Mack   AC could
be run for a total per mile cost of just 15 cents per mile.  In the Edwards
folder they said the Model 20 (the units the Q got) could be operated for just
14 cents per mile.  Both say the major expense saved is in Roundhouse expenses
and they eliminated the hazard of ROW fires.  The Edwards could transport up to
42 passenger with an 11 ft Baggage area while the could move 20 passengers with
a 5 ft. baggage area.
Steve in SC