RE: [CBQ] Gasoline motor car 1905

To: <cbq@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: RE: [CBQ] Gasoline motor car 1905
From: Gerald & Virginia Edgar <vje68@hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 11 Aug 2010 09:25:19 -0500
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=lima; t=1281536729; bh=+T3I1jeaddaCkiTFGQadhPfwyIFU3mb/Q6wUPFcN1Nk=; h=Received:Received:X-Yahoo-Newman-Id:X-Sender:X-Apparently-To:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:Message-ID:To:Importance:In-Reply-To:References:X-OriginalArrivalTime:X-Originating-IP:X-eGroups-Msg-Info:From:X-Yahoo-Profile:Sender:MIME-Version:Mailing-List:Delivered-To:List-Id:Precedence:List-Unsubscribe:Date:Subject:Reply-To:X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:Content-Type:Content-Transfer-Encoding; b=IxeUI8AVSzKDUDPAepYYHscaO5U1vyIrKkkMcQ9H3XjSiuwqTqliKnDyGWkRzf33ZpjcYMetbHYO9y8FPRRzcVGvIxdMUfgt3KjMuIjEKFuJgOKIpYgpnWUOOrmYZWSn
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Rupert & all:  I think circumstantial evidence found in CB&Q Annual Reports of
1905/1906 and Fielder's "RR's of the Black Hills" explains why a RR journal in
1905 would state CB&Q was having good results using a non-steam conveyance for
mail/express, etc.
The Deadwood Central became part of Burlington & Missouri River in 1902; B&MR
was fully absorbed into CB&Q late in "04.  The DC had 3 trolley cars that
indeed carried mail & express (& passengers) between Lead & Deadwood, SD via
Central City.  Since this operation was now a Burlington operation, I can
understand why the Q (and the reporter) would state in 1905 that this service
was working well NOW even though it had been around for several yrs previous.
As for using the term gas vs. electric, one, in either case it's no longer the
normal steam power one would expect on a major Class I RR in the midwest in
1905 and two, self-propelled non-steam power whether gasoline or electric
overhead or batteries were sometimes confused by reporters at a distance as any
alternative that was NOT steam was the real news.

The only non-steam power listed in those Annual Reports are 3 "motor cars" used
by the former Deadwood Central n.g.  (CB&Q showing a total of 58+ miles of 3'
trackage at the time)

If indeed there was some other pre-1920's passenger/mail/express motor car
being experimented with by CB&Q in 1905, the fact is not showing up in the
Annual Reports or Overton's books.

Gerald

    CBQ-digest@yahoogroups.com
    CBQ-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com