Re: [CBQ] Station vs Depot

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [CBQ] Station vs Depot
From: Norm Metcalf <n.metcalf@att.net>
Date: Mon, 26 Jul 2010 08:34:19 -0600
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=lima; t=1280154882; bh=LHm8zDvKcEfjHckvsLI8bcZPH+dWva1xsGB0E7XxDjM=; h=Received:Received:X-Yahoo-Newman-Id:X-Sender:X-Apparently-To:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:Message-ID:User-Agent:To:References:In-Reply-To:X-Originating-IP:X-eGroups-Msg-Info:From:X-Yahoo-Profile:Sender:MIME-Version:Mailing-List:Delivered-To:List-Id:Precedence:List-Unsubscribe:Date:Subject:Reply-To:X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:Content-Type:Content-Transfer-Encoding; b=m5dlxXJBWYMtt7IXuVq+ME5poNq0HfrGzAfBidRmpu2oqTQkS9zQd1u64NgANYvk5gqZnDJHiRn6urza9xpydfssBjPlyINODdwKjzIJWu52PY9MDYzo6U5vkDOYeU8d
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Dave,
        The AAR definition of a station is any point on a railroad identified
by name or number while a depot is an edifice to facilitate the
transaction of business.  Some railroads have confused the usage.  Some
wish to restrict depot to those buildings whose sole function was
passengers.
        Norm Metcalf, Boulder Colorado

On 07/26/2010 08:20 AM, Dave Lotz wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> May I make an observation?  In railfan circles we often use the terms
> “station” and  “depot” interchangeably, usually assuming that a station
> on the railroad is/was a physical depot building – as in police station
> or filling station.  However, when you take a look at the broader
> definition of the word station from The Free Dictionary online you find:
>
> sta·tion (stshn)  n.
> 1.
>    a. A place or position where a person or thing stands or is assigned
> to stand; a post: a sentry station.
>    b. An area where a person is assigned to work.
> 2. The place, building, or establishment from which a service is
> provided or operations are directed: a police station.
> 3. A stopping place along a route, especially a stop for refueling or
> for taking on passengers; a depot.
> 4. Social position; rank:
> 5. An establishment equipped for observation and study: a radar station.
> 6.
>    a. An establishment equipped for radio or television transmission.
>    b. One that broadcasts radio or television transmissions: the views
> in this program do not necessarily reflect those of the station.
>    c. A frequency assigned to a broadcaster.
> 7. An input or output point along a communications system.
> 8. A precise point from which measurements in surveying are made.
> 9. Ecology
>    a. The normal habitat of a particular plant or animal community.
>    b. The exact place of occurrence of a species or individual within a
> given habitat.
> 10. Station Roman Catholic Church Any of the 14 Stations of the Cross.
>
> Based upon that definition, I think that we need to understand that a
> station along the railroad may or may not have had a physical building,
> it may have only been a location, as in the case of Carthage Jct. AKA
> Illinois Jct.
>
> By the way, my 1949 Burlington Route Map of the West (the huge wall map
> that could be bought for $2 back in the day) shows that Carthage Jct. is
> indeed at the east end of the Burlington, IA Mississippi bridge and is
> one in the same as Illinois Jct.
>
> Dave
[snip]

    CBQ-digest@yahoogroups.com